Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tournament Masks

The tournament put on a player's dinner tonight. One of the entertainment acts was a traditional chinese performance where a dancer/magician changes faces over the course of a song. The performer begins with one type and color mask and without ever touching his face, and in the blink of an eye, can change masks: one comming off, one going on and the transition is too fast to witness, appearing seemless. It is puzzling and spectacular. From what I was told, there are only a small number of performers who can do it successfully and no one outside their tightly formed circle knows their secret method.

It was a fitting act because the night before a big event begins, I try to put on a different mask. I try to lay the idea of tournament golf aside and focus on anything else. At this point, I've put in my preparation and there is nothing more I can do tonight to enhance tomorrow's play beside rest, relax and sleep well. So the pink elephant that looms is my tee time tomorrow at 11:30, but it is my job to put on the mask with the pink elephant blinders. It is one of the only times during the course of a tournament week that I will really try to get away from anything having to do with golf.

The weather has been very cold for the last two days, not getting above 50 and that is not supposed to change for the comming weekend. Tomorrow will be spent bundling up to stay warm and finding a rhythm to get hot. If you are awake late tonight and happen to be around the computer, go to http://eng.koreapga.com and click on 2007 Korean Tour Schedule in the left hand column...the schedule will pop up and click on KEB Invitational for live scoring. Otherwise, you can read about my first round tomorrow on the blog. If all goes well, the next time you hear from me I will be wearing my red, under par mask. Over and out.

No comments: