Sunday, July 20, 2008

Northeastern Mini-Touring

I've spent over two weeks back home now and it has been amazing. I enjoy sleeping in my own bed more than ever and during the first week back, my bed was about the only place I hung out. I was recovering from more than a 12 hour time change and a 24 hour flight; I was rebuilding energy lost from 9 months of globe trotting. It honestly took that entire first week before I began to feel normal.

After that recovery period, I played two Golfer's Warehouse Tour events on minimal preparation and finished 9th and 6th, raking in two checks for a total of about $2700. It was unfortunate not to have my "go low" game ready for those tournaments, but I took pride in knowing I can remain highly competitive in a scrambling mode. It was a relief to be able to scramble again after 8 tournaments in Asia on courses with twice as many out of bounds areas than holes. There is no scrambling when you're out of bounds.

In the Providence Open last week, I opened with 72 (E), a score that would have amounted to minimally, 4 strokes less than had I played that round on a Korean course due to wayward tee shots. I played a bogey free round in 68 (-4) stokes on day 2, and came off the course feeling that there were many improvements to be made in preparation for the coming stretch of events. It re-energized my motivation and commitment to shooting low scores.

Beginning tomorrow, I will compete in three straight State Open events: NH Open, Greater Bangor Open and RI Open. I've made a few leaps this week toward improving my ball striking and chipping and am very confident I will contend for wins in the coming events. Heading into these tournaments, I have a renewed energy for tournament golf and a new appreciation for the comforts of home. Both of which should aid making a few extra birdies.

No comments: