Sunday, August 29, 2010

Canadian Tour Conclusion

I posted 67 at the final round at the Canadian Tour Championship to finish tied for 24th place. Today was a big test for me: I've had a few very poor final rounds on tour this year which have cost me respectable finishes and important dollars. Today was an opportunity to prove to myself that this year on the Canadian Tour has been a great learning experience and I'm improving.

I've struck the ball well all week but my wedge play and short game have held me back from shooting low scores. Today, I lacked the control over my swing I had in the first three rounds, but my short game finally shined. I added an exclamation point on the short game spectacle by making a 15 footer at the 230 yard par 3 17th and holing a 30 yard bunker shot in front of the gallery at the 18th, finishing birdie-birdie.

After the crisply struck sand shot landed softly and bounced in the hole, did I throw a few dramatic fist pumps and take numerous bows??...you bet! I've been waiting all year to birdie the last in front of the crowd and took full advantage of the last hole at the Tour Championship.

It's been a great summer on the Canadian Tour. I've improved, learned a great deal about how to manage my game and my energy levels for consecutive weeks of competition, and will be in the top 50 on the order of merit, gaining my tour card again for next year (top 80 retain their tour cards).

I head back to Florida tomorrow, where I'll continue to hone my skills and fund raise for a possible Q-school bid this fall.

No comments: