Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Living the Dream

I had my first thrill of a promising week today when I met up with two players ranked in the world top 10, who came from the Masters to this event. As I came down the final hole of my practice round, I noticed the 9th hole (which runs parallel to 18) had drawn quite a gallery. Emerging from the crowd were KJ Choi and Retief Goosen. 'The Goose' has the same tee time as I on day 1, but off the 10th hole. I have the opportunity to compete against and beat an impressive field this week that includes two of the world's elite. It's one of those rare opportunities for true competitive brilliance.

The golf course is beautiful. One side is bordered by the ocean, the other lined by Incheon Airport. It is a long course with extremely deep, undulating greens. It is a course style similar to a Nationwide Tour Stop; a course that rarely takes driver out of your hand and provides room off the tee. I recently changed to a Titleist D2 driver. That combine with a few swing tweaks since the Japan event have me hitting the ball longer and straighter than I have for a few months. I was positively psyched after leaving the 18th green today, not only because I was about to walk past KJ Choi and 'The Goose,' but because I knew this course helps me utilize my length advantage.

This is a tremendous opportunity for me to butt heads with some world beaters on a golf course that suits my game. I've envisioned making birdie on the final hole of a professional tournament to beat the world's best since I was a long-haired, pull cart toting kid. I believe this is my week to live that dream.

No comments: