Friday, April 11, 2008

SK Telecom Open

I will be heading for Seoul, South Korea on Monday to tee it up in the 600k, SK Telecom Open. From what the veteran players have told me, golf in South Korea is like football and baseball back home -- it is their entertainment bread and butter. Golf is far more expensive in Korea than the US with an average round costing about $200 USD. Despite the excessive cost, golfers find it nearly impossible to get a tee time. I've been told even if you have the funding, reserving a time play is very challenging bordering impossible. Golf in South Korea is revered, which is why the Korean Tour is so well sponsored and run. Therefore, one of the biggest events on the Korean's professional tour coming to their capital, is like the Sox vs Yanks at Fenway. This event is supposed to attract a great crowd and have a an enthusiastic following. It is the perfect setting for a breakthrough performance.

The last two weeks I have faced a few insurmountable challenges, but am excited to conquer them this week. I've been able to find some swing help in the past two days and know I am back on track in that area. Like the past two tournaments, this will be my first visit to the host country and with that comes new culture, food and language barriers. How I handle these aspects, factor into my final outcome. Last week, I was given a caddy I am sure was a very kind person, but she couldn’t get my bag up the course's hills on her own, lost my umbrella and rain pants and tried to offer advice without being able to speak a word of English. No offense intended, but I would have rather carried my own bag. This week should be a bit easier being in a major city. I should be able to navigate with less stress and eat with less reluctance.

Although my results from the first two events were not up to my expectation, I made both cuts and am learning how to place these unfamiliar pieces into the puzzle. Initially, I was disappointed in myself. I need to keep in mind that no art is mastered without pains and practice and no goal too easily attainable, is worth pursuing. It's like the line in 'Jet Airliner' from Steve Miller Band: "You know you've got to go through hell before you get to heaven..." I am really excited for this week's opportunity and know great success is imminent.

No comments: