Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Round 2

My round today consisted of poor decisions, terrible swings and recovery putts. Most holes went as follows: Baldwin hits drive in the rough; Baldwin hits approach shot left/right of the green in least welcoming spot; Baldwin chips to 6-15 feet; Baldwin makes putt. I had one of the most successful putting days of recent months, accumulating 23 putts in 18 holes, meaning I averaged just over 1.2 putts per green. If a player however, shoots 75 with this stat in their putting category, they could have used a shovel and bat to hit all other shots. Watching my ball loop off its intended course into hazards, past out of bounds stakes and bury into bunkers, became quite routine and predictable today.

So I sit in 21st position, tied with a few other players going into the third round at a two-round total of 147. The conditions so far have been challenging: very hot and windy, making the small greens extreamly firm and fast. These two factors account for the high scoring of the field's majoirty.

The top 28 this week will receive their tour cards and the top 8 are entitled to play in 6 more events than the remaining 20 players. This is some strong incentive for me to find my swing sometime between now and my opening tee shot tomorrow. Two consecutive rounds of solid play tomorrow and Friday will give me a great chance to settle into the top of the leaderboard by the tournament's conclusion.

No comments: