Sunday, July 11, 2010

The End of This Week's Hunt



As the day came to a close, I faced a 6 foot par saving putt on my 72nd hole. It had been a challenging day: I battled my swing, fatigue and the pressure and thrill of being in the hunt on the final day. My timing and rythm had left me on the first tee and I spent most of the day scrambling my golf ball around the course trying to salvage par. The back nine was bipolar: 5 birdies, 3 bogeys, a near hole in one and, dare I say, a shank. When this 6 footer on the 72nd hole fell, it would be my first par in 9 holes.

I closed with -3 69 on the final day to finish at -17 for the tournament and tied for 12th place. It was a solid event and marks the lowest 72 hole total of my professional career. While I wish I could have been a stronger contender on the final day, I am still pleased with the progress I'm making. This finish nearly secures my Canadian Tour card for next year.

I will write more in the coming days while I'm on my way to The Player's Cup in Winnipeg for the final stretch of this 3 week run. For now, it was great to feel the sunday rush of being in one of the final pairings and being in the hunt. Off to celebrate my best finish on the Canadian Tour so far. I'll look to top it next week in Winnipeg!

1 comment:

B.Konrad said...

Mark, an excellent Tourney. Im very happy for you!!!

Been following on Cantour.com during your rounds, and your updates each day are great.

Player's cup up next. Very cool, keep up the good work and get some rest.

Best wish,

Bill



ps. "Birdie train" I like the term, guess im used to riding the bogy/double bogy caboose.