Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Importance of Trust



I ran out of steam today on the 17th hole at the Canadian Tour's Player's Cup. I finished with a bogey and a double on the closing two holes for 73 (+2). Included in this score was +1 on total par 5 scoring. Whenever I play par 5s over par during a competitive round, I am sure to get lapped by the field.

The course is a short Donald Ross design with extremely undulating, slick greens. Position around the holes is paramount as are angles into the greens.

Down the last four holes, I tried to play low punch shots under the wind, taking one more club and reducing my swing speed. Last week, I played my closing holes making full, confident swings and trusting in my abilities instead of trying to control the ball with abbreviated swings like I did today. The short swings resulted in poor strikes and were not chosen out of trust. I played well last week because I fully believed in my swing.

Tomorrow, I need to regain the same trust and belief as last week when the closing holes approach. I am very much looking forward to redeeming myself in round 2 and shooting a score that gets my name closer to the top of the leader board.

No comments: