Saturday, June 11, 2011

Round 3 Western Championship

I stood on the driving range hitting the ball sideways this morning. The various pieces of my golf swing felt completely out of control and disconnected. As I walked to the first tee, my self pep talk was all about tempo and acceptance. If I could control the rhythm of my swing, I could indirectly control club positions and thus, my shots. If I happened to hit a few shots sideways, I would accept them and enjoy the challenge of scrambling from a tough spot. Well, 16 greens in regulation later (that's hitting the ball very well for all you non-golfers), a cold putter left me with a score of -2, 70 and -9 through 54 holes. Because the round had so much potential, I left the course disappointed; feeling like I had let a chance to get in the hunt (the leader is currently at -17) slip away. While that is certainly true, the larger picture indicates that I've made tremendous strides considering 2 weeks ago, I could barely walk and was convinced I wouldn't compete at all. I play tomorrow at 9:39 and will then drive immediately to Vancouver (5 hours away) for a Canadian Open qualifying round. It's been an exciting week and if a few putts fall tomorrow, a top 10 finish is very attainable.

No comments: