Friday, June 10, 2011

Western Championship Round 2

Another day of minimal winds and soft conditions left Riverside Golf Links defenseless. I played a flawless front 9 shooting -3 taking me to -7 for the event. After 3-putts on 11, 12 and a terrible wedge shot on 14, I had run off 3 bogies and was back to even par for the day, a score that would surely get lapped by the field and leave me in jeopardy of missing the cut (which ended up being -4). I needed to hit a great tee shot at the 560 yard, par 5 15th and I turned to the club I have relied heavily on in the past day, my 3 wood. I made a perfect swing hitting a 320 yard bomb downwind and proceeded to make a tap in birdie. That swing turned my mentality around and I birdied 3 of the closing 4 holes for a score of 69 (-3). I go into tomorrow 7 shots behind the leader and with no cut to consider, will play aggressively and do my best to get in the hunt for Sunday. Overall, I'm most proud of the way I was able to persevere and turn my energy around following three bogies. My decision making and outlook has been nearly perfect in the first two days and when a few more putts fall tomorrow, I'll be within striking distance on Sunday.

No comments: