Thursday, June 23, 2011

Syncrude Boreal Open Round 1

The Canadian Tour stops in the oil capital of North America this week, Fort McMurray, Alberta, for the $150,000 Syncrude Boreal Open. Fort McMurray Golf Club features narrow holes carved through dense tree lines and attack flies larger than the horses they’re named after. A ball hit into the trees is doomed to be lost and for those crazy enough to go searching, they are at the mercy of the swarms of bugs that pounce like viscous piranhas. I started the tournament by shooting a -2, 70 on day 1. I hit solid shots off the tee and made a couple deft saves around the greens. To ascend the leaderboard tomorrow, I will need to hit my approaches closer to the hole and give myself a few more legitimate birdie opportunities. While I’m not yet healthy, I feel great about the progression of my game in the past month and look forward to a great week!

No comments: