Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mazatlan Mexico

I spent the day traveling to the sunny, warm city of Mazatlan in central Mexico. I write this over looking the sun setting on a light blue sea. There is a pool that winds through the resort, complete with tiki bars serving Coronas and the gentle strums of James Taylor to encourage a carefree attitude and the purchase of more margaritas. Of course, this isn't the resort I'm staying at. I'm paying 300 pesos to use another resort's internet because my hotel doesn't offer this service.

The town outside the coastline where the airport is located, reminded me Johor Bharu Malaysia. Homes are brightly painted, thick graffiti lines the walls of every compound and the hot sun has left the ground charred.

I walked around the practice area of tournament course and saw the opening tee shot. Based on viewing one hole, I'm guessing the course will resemble a narrow, south Florida resort course with extremely grainy greens, strong ocean breezes and hazards lurking.

I'm excited to test my hypothesis tomorrow morning for the first practice round. The Corona Mexican PGA Championship begins Thursday.

No comments: