Monday, April 12, 2010

Playing the Right Notes




Played my first practice round today. The breeze blowing off the ocean makes for some tricky tee shots on holes defined by king palms. Placement, not length, is crucial. It's 3 woods and 2 irons all day off the tee to set up shots from the 150 marker. It will be a putt off this week. The lowest scores will come from solid short iron play and better putting. With a new, comfortable grip on my putter, the club feels like an extension of my arms. It's like Clapton playing the blues. I'm just playing the right notes with the putter right now.

Tomorrow, I will play early with my caddy Sergio: an older man with a relaxed demeanor who shares my affinity for high heels on senoritas. Sergio will be my looper for the week and my guide through the ocean gusts and grainy greens of El Cid.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck Mark from New Hampton School.

B.Konrad said...

Mark, you are in Mexico in one peace, alright. Sounds like this is going to be a good tournament, and I’m very excited to read your updates. I can only imagine just how excited you must be also to start the 1st round.

Good Luck,

Bill Konrad

ps. I like your story about the hotel with the nice view, pool, and having to pay to use there internet. hahaha


ps. I like your story about the hotel with the nice view, pool, and having to pay to use there internet. hahaha