Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Riviera Nayarit Classic

This week the Canadian Tour hosts the Riviera Nayarit Classic in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The brand new, highly-anticipated Litibu Golf Course, will open just for this event. The Greg Norman design is amazing: 4 holes are set along the ocean with the 5th looking identical to the par 3, 7th at Pebble Beach. Every hole demands different shots and has tremendous character.

Some holes weave through the jungle and require players to shape their ball flights, and others bring gigantic contours into play around the fairways. The fairways are generous and the greens are large. Because the Mexican government offered the Canadian Tour this venue and Litibu has opened early, the course isn't quite tournament ready. While the fairways and bunkers are in spectacular shape and the views are heavenly, the greens are too new to cut short. The result is extreamly slow and inconsistent putting surfaces for the week. Because I putt best on tightly cut, speedy greens, my biggest challenge will be to remain patient and make sure every putt that does not drop in the cup, runs past the hole. This will give me the best chance to make solid strokes that result in made putts.

I have taken pictures of this amazingly beautiful golf course, but will not be able to upload them on the blog until I return home. (Be on the lookout over the next couple weeks)

My ball striking is consistently strong and my pitching has returned to a stellar level. I am going to enjoy the relaxing ocean walks, the challenges each hole present and the opportunity to play great golf in a top level event. Great things to come this week! I begin the quest for my first Canadian Tour win tomorrow at 2:30 pm.

2 comments:

B.Konrad said...

Mark, great updates over the course of your first tourny and leading into today. While the course sounds very nice, its a little disappointing to hear about the greens.

Im sure you will be able to over come the slowness. Keep up the good work and best of luck over the next few days. I will be following up on the tour webpage.

I do have a quick question though. When you say that you tee off at 2;30. What time zone are you in and refering too? I never really gave that any thought until now.

later Buddy,

Bill Konrad

Cassie said...

So, what actually happened to you in Nayarit? :) I wanted to hear updates..